PRESENT: Marshall Wilson, Melissa McRobbie, Micki Carter, Kristy Blackburn, Peter Cleaveland, Dave Price and Darryl Compton. Absent: Jon Mays, Laura Dudnick, Antonia Ehlers, Ed Remitz and Jack Russell
Marshall Wilson called the meeting to order at 7:40 p.m.
Marshall offered the board’s special thanks to retiring board member Micki Carter for her service as secretary, past president, awards contests, high school liaison, party host and much much more.
FINANCE REPORT: Darryl offered the following report:
- Income: $26,607.23
- Expenses: $22,774.32
- Net: $3,832.91
- Checking: $16,075.89
- Savings: $11,121.90
- Total: $27,197.79
- Scholarship Fund 501(c)(3) Total: $7,019.97 (Scholarships have been paid out of the General Fund for several years.)
ACTIVITIES OF THE YEAR: Marshall reviewed the club’s programs in the past year:
Active Board of Directors, meeting 2nd Wednesday of each month
34th Greater Bay Area Journalism Awards Entries Feb. 28, 2011
- 523 Entries, up 32 percent from 394, previous year. We traded judging with several other Press Clubs.
- 221 students, 15 High Schools, 459 entries, 12 categories up 40 percent from 329, previous year.
- Herb Caen Scholarships $3,000 Keynote: Mike Sugerman, KPIX CBS 5/KCBC Radio
High School Journalism Boot Camp Oct. 21, 2011
- Keynote: R.B. Brenner, Stanford University 21 workshops, newspaper critiques, student editors’ panel
On The Record (Newsletter) four issues
Web Site – Thanks to Dave Price
FeedBlitz – news e-mails
PLANS FOR 2012:
35th Greater Bay Area Journalism Awards — entry deadline Feb. 29, 2012
Online Entry – forms and submissions PDF, Links
High School Journalism Contest — entry deadline March 31, 2012. Will be online this year.
$1,500 Herb Caen Journalism Scholarship — entry deadline April 16, 2012
34th Greater Bay Area Journalism Awards dinner May 19, 2012, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Foster City
Aid to High School Newspapers project
Bench Bar Media
Professional Development Workshops
Town Hall Meeting
- President, Marshall Wilson;
- Vice president, Kristy Blackburn;
- Treasurer, Ed Remitz;
- Secretary, Antonia Ehlers
- 2013 (two-year term) Peter Cleaveland, Dave Price
- 2012 (one-year term) Laura Dudnick (Jamie White's seat); Melissa McRobbie (Blackburn seat); one open position (Ehlers seat)
- Ex-officio: Past President Jon Mays
- Director Emeritus Jack Russell
- Executive Director Darryl Compton
Adjourned at 8 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Micki Carter, secretary